Ice Col Trekking
The route from Makalu Base Camp to the Everest region, which we follow, is over Sherpani Col – West Col – Panch Pokhari and Amphu Lapcha. Basically all these passes lie on the three main ridges of Baruntse. The southeast ridge drops down to Sherpani Col at (6135m); the south ridge has West Col at (6143m), and the west ridge, which ultimately joins Ama Dablam dips down to (5850m) at Amphu Lapcha. Amphu Lapcha is probably the most demanding phase with some exposed snow and ice work. You will need plenty of rope and anchors, as there are two long descents to be set up. This can take a long time with porters! It could be 14 hours a day crossing the first two Cols. Our guides know how best to approach this problem and we would suggest you leave it to them You will need full mountaineering equipment and your party will need to be fit.
After the flight to Tumlingtar, we follow the trail as it emerges out of tranquil pastures and ascends the hidden Arun River valley. Climbing and descending gradually, taking us from villages at 457m to the Khongma Pass at 3090m, this trail gives us the best possible form of acclimatization. Beyond Num there are no villages. The track climbs all the way to Neghe Kharka, crossing the Barun Khola flowing from Makalu. The route to Sherpani Col (6135m) involves a sustained period at altitude with some steep slopes, but rewards with powerful views of Makalu (8463m) to the north and the aptly named Island Peak (6160m) to the west. This is the realm of the glaciers, surrounded by the unforgettable presence of the world’s mightiest mountains and brooding above the towering bulk of Everest itself.
Trek: Ice Col Trekking
Trek starts: Tumlingtar
Trek duration: 30 days
Maximum altitude: 6143m
Minimum group size: One pax
Trek ends: Lukla
Day 1: Arrive at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu and a representative of Unique Nepal Adventure Trek will welcome and transfer you to your selected hotel by private vehicle.
Day 2: Sightseeing in Kathmandu valley by private vehicle with an expert tour guide.
- Kathmandu Durbar Square
- Swayambhunath (Monkey Temple)
- Boudhanath Stupa (Large white Buddhist Stupa)
- Pashupatinath (Hindu Temple)
- Patan Durbar Square (Ancient city)
- Bhaktapur Durbar Square (55-window palace)
Day 3: Flight from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar and start trekking to Khandbari (1040m) (4hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 4: Trek to Chichila (1830m) (5/6 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 5: Trek to Num (1490m) (5 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 6: Trek to Seduwa (1460m) (5/6 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 7: Trek to Tashi Gaon (2070m) (5 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 8: Trek to Kauma (3470m) stay overnight at camp.
Day 9: Rest / Exploration day at Kauma. Stay overnight at camp.
Day 10: Trek to Mumbuk (3570m) (5 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 11: Trek to Nhe Kharka (3000m) (6 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 12: Trek to Sherson (4615m) (7 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 13: Trek to Makalu Base Camp (5000m) (4/5 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 14: Explore Makalu Base Camp. Stay overnight at camp.
Day 15: Trek to Hillary Base Camp. Stay overnight at camp.
Day 16: Trek to High Camp. Stay overnight at camp.
Day 17: Exploration / Rest day
Day 18: Heading towards Sherpani Col (6135m), and Baruntse Base Camp. Stay overnight at camp.
Day 19: Trek to West Col (6143m) stay overnight at camp.
Day 20: Trek to Panch Pokhari. Stay overnight at camp.
Day 21: Trek to Amphu Lapcha (5850m) stay overnight at camp.
Day 22: Trek to Chukung (4730m) (6 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 23: Trek to Dingboche (4380m) (5 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 24: Trek to Tengboche to (3860m) (4 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 25: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3440m) (4 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 26: Rest / Exploration day at Namche. Stay overnight at camp.
Day 27: Trek to Phakding, continue to Lukla (2840m) (6 hrs) stay overnight at camp.
Day 28: Flight: Lukla – Kathmandu (35 mins). Stay overnight at your selected hotel in Kathmandu.
Day 29: Souvenir and sightseeing in Kathmandu.
Day 30: A representative of Unique Nepal Adventure Trek will drop you off at Tribhuvan International Airport by private vehicle.
- Airport pick-up and drop off by private vehicle.
- Four nights in your selected Kathmandu hotel with breakfast.
- A full day’s sightseeing in Kathmandu by private vehicle.
- All meals during the trek (lunch, dinner, breakfast and tea or coffee).
- Accommodation in a few simple lodges, but mainly camping in twin shared tents with mattress.
- All necessary equipment for camping.
- One English speaking government trained license holder and well informed trekking guide.
- One porter for two people to carry luggage.
- Dependent on group size, cook, kitchen boy and extra porters.
- All expenses for guide and porters – meals, accommodation, salary, equipment, insurance, transportation (bus/flights) etc.
- First Aid kit bag.
- Government and local area taxes where applicable.
- TIMS card fees (Trekking Information Management System).
- Return transportation from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar and Lukla by flight.
- Makalu and Sagarmatha National Park entrance fees (See the ‘Trekking Permits’ link under ‘Trekking Info’ for current fees)
- Nepalese entry visa fee and departure tax. (See the ‘Visa Information’ link under ‘Trekking Info’ for current fees)
- Travel insurance.
- Soft and alcoholic drinks (mineral water, hot water, coke, fanta, beer, spirits, etc).
- Snacks (Chocolate, biscuits etc).
- Hot water, hot shower, heater charge, battery charge, phone calls and laundry service.
- Donation, tips and personal expenses.
- Emergency evacuation and medical equipment.
- Hire equipment and other personal items (sleeping bag, down jacket, hiking boots camera, toilet rolls etc).
- In case of natural calamities i.e. political unrest, cancellation of flight due to weather, landslides, etc, the extra charge will be borne by themselves.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.